Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Day 8






We arrived at our destination on Friday night to Tom and Eppie's home in West Vancouver, British Columbia. It was late and all I wanted to do was relax because of the long drive. We woke up late in the morning and had breakfast. My brother and I had no agenda for the day, but we checked out Stanley Park in North Vancouver, which was recommended by my brother-in-law Roy.

Vancouver is the the 3rd largest metropolis in Canada falling behind from Toronto, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec. One of the many things that appealed to me was their public transportation system. Since downtown gets really busy, my brother and I decided to try out their public transportation. Our host, Tita Eppie dropped us off at Park Royal, one of the biggest malls in Vancouver so we could wait at the bus stop. Vancouver is an eco-friendly city and you could tell right off the bat. Our stop was at the West End of Downtown Vancouver where Stanley Park was. My brother and I decided to just walk the entire circumference of the park's vicinity, but we noticed that there were a lot of people that rode their bikes and skates. So, we wanted to find out if there were any rental places around. A fellow kababayan (countryman) told us that there were rental places up the street and he took us there. My brother and I rented two mountain bikes and the rest was history. A plethora of things were going on in downtown Vancouver as demonstrations were held, tourist attractions that were visited (i.e., Stanley Park, sea plane rides, carriage rides), people that enjoyed fine dining, people that congregated around the sandy coast, and etc. 


The ride around the park took my brother and I close to 2 hours since we dismounted our bikes at specific areas. We caught a glimpse and watched two cruise ships that left Burrard Inlet and passed under the Lions Gate Bridge. We rode the bus back to our accommodation and prepared for dinner.  







A family of raccoons in Stanley Park

No comments:

Post a Comment