Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grouse Mountain, West Vancouver, BC, Canada

Day 9



We attempted to climb Grouse Mountain on a Sunday afternoon. Metro Vancouver had a variety of hiking trails that are suited for anyone's liking. My brother and I chose the most difficult and most-visited natural attraction situated only 15 minutes from the City's downtown core. Approximate completion time to climb the steep-inclined Grouse Grind was 1.5-2 hours with a distance of 2.9 km (1.8 miles). 








Our gear was set with the basic essentials of water, snacks, first-aid, and lights. We embarked on an adventure not knowing what lied ahead. The trail was daunting from its slippery rocks, soggy terrain, and the steep incline. I looked to my left and right, front and back, and noticed people resting, heard heavy breathing as people pushed on. Unfortunately, I stopped 7 times before we reached the halfway point only to have pulled my left calf muscle. I was in excruciating pain for a few minutes and was left with a tough decision. A decision whether to finish the last 1.45 km (0.9 miles) of the climb and ride the gondola back down, or to climb back down 1.45 km (0.9 miles). The decision was made to climb back down. I felt disappointed and also to let my brother down since he wanted to finish the trail. I was unprepared and out of shape to have attempted such a venture. I overexerted my muscles and bit more than I could chew. Grouse Grind OWNED me for that day, but ONLY for that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment